Friday, May 20, 2011

Empty the Dishwasher Amelia Bedelia

Sometimes having a teenage boy in my house makes me feel like the lady who employed Amelia Bedelia. If you don't know who Amelia Bedelia is, you should get one of the books about her by Peggy Parish. Anyway, she is literal. To a fault.
So, today, when I gave Ray his list of chores. They were done promptly and forgotten by me. When, later while I was making dinner, I discovered just how literal my kiddo could be. The list said "empty the dishwasher and put away the clean dishes". In my house, we rinse the dishes off first, so some of them apparently looked clean. So, when I went to make dinner this evening, I discovered half of the dishwasher emptied into the sink (those dishes looked too dirty to put away) and the other half put away. When asked if the dishes were dirty that he put away, Ray replied that he had taken the cleaner ones out and put them away like asked, and the dirty ones he put into the sink. Sigh. I am laughing as I type this... I just finished washing every single fork and spoon that we own because I couldn't figure out which ones weren't washed.


That'll teach me! Next time I'll make SURE I've run the dishwasher before making a chore list.

2 comments:

  1. Love those books! I always read them to my girls. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the funniest thing. Tell Ray nice work! :) Love you! And good news also on Eric's leg. Give them hugs.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete