Saturday, July 30, 2011

Excuses

Firstly, this blog is to excuse myself from the pictures later to come in the next blog about Steve's birthday soiree today. Um, I decorated cakes for YEARS... wedding, birthday, baby shower... you name it. So, thinking that I would just jump right back on in there, I made Steve's birthday cake from scratch. He wanted yellow cake with chocolate frosting. I made the cake, the frosting... weeeeelllll, lets just say I might have messed that up a wee bit. I made a easy 7 min frosting out of the Joy of Cooking that my mother raved about. It was great! But, it was vanilla. So I added chocolate... which promptly turned my frosting into chocolate soup. So I added powdered sugar and butter (thinking: hey, meringue butter cream, right?) and I got a denser chocolate soup. Having totally committed to this cake and frosting, Eric and I were going to make it work.

Thus... a paragraph of excuses to explain my picture. When in doubt, add army men to hold up the icing soup. :)

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Steve!
    And thank goodness for Army Men, right? I see these have been deployed on a super important mission. How did the frosting taste? That is the main thing...
    Have a fun birthday celebration day.
    Love from Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mom, we have 4 boys... I was silly to think that anyone was going to look at the cake. It is almost gone (because you know how I limit sugar in my house) but I tell you that they love love loved it!

    ReplyDelete