Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bottom of barrel? Seek new barrel :)

Having a child with behavior problems is tough. Having a step-child with behavior problems who has only lived with you for two and a half months is, well, tougher? Bryan is a wonderful child, super sweet and helpful. He has severely curbed his behavior at home to the point that he is just a normal ADHD child with bubbly energy and a smile for everyone. (Most of the time, he is, after all, still a nine year old kid.) At school we encounter different problems. I went in search for a different barrel when I had reached the bottom of mine with ideas on how to encourage good behavior at school. His teachers send home three things about how Bryan's day went, so I figured we would use those. This is what I'm trying now:

The prize is a special going out breakfast with me (and dad if he's invited)


I figure we'll go slow and build up to harder and harder goals. And, with the harder the goal, the better the prize. I'm thinking that a perfect week would mean a family trip to a zoo/museum/something educational, but fun. Either way, I'll keep you all posted on our success/failure. I'm actually thrilled to see what the paper holds today when he gets home. Maybe we'll have a star to put up there (or two... wishful thinking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment