Monday, June 13, 2011

Text books are a billion dollars

Or so it seems when I open my pocketbook to pay for next quarter's college textbooks. I have found some ways around this, however, that are very helpful to people going to college on a budget.

1. Look about 2-3 weeks ahead of your first class day for your books. Your college will provide you with a list of books you need, so if you know you're not going to drop courses, then order early and beat the rush/sold out issues.
2. RENT... yes rent your books. Many bookstores like www.thebookhousega.com and www.barnesandnoble.com will rent books for the quarter/semester for around 1/8 of the price of the book. (I rented my anatomy textbook for 30$ instead of buying it for 187$)
3. If you have to buy, buy from a used book site, like www.amazon.com. I found one of my textbooks on there for 1.78$. The original price of the book was 75$. You do the math.

So, after I bought/rented my books for this next quarter, instead of spending 333$, I spent a whopping 78$. I don't know about you, but that planning was totally worth the extra 200+ dollars I didn't spend.

1 comment:

  1. Another great place to check is www.chegg.com (to rent), and www.betterworldbooks.com (all used). I've ordered books from both and have found success each time.

    ReplyDelete